Karen Pershing

by Accolades Staff
0 comment

Class year: 1986 & 2006Karen Pershing

Degree: BS in human development and family studies; MS in public health with a concentration in health planning and administration

Hometown: Ionia, Michigan; moved to Knoxville in 1976

Fun Fact: I competed in my first and last body-building competition in 2012 at the age of 48. It was quite an experience!

About her work at the Metro Drug Coalition: I serve as the executive director of a nonprofit organization whose mission is to improve the health of the greater Knoxville community by reducing the use of alcohol and drugs through policy, systems, and environment change. With our agency being small, I have had to learn to manage the organization’s finances, create strategic plans, manage human resources, write and secure grants (both government and private foundations), work with a board of directors, plan and conduct fundraising events, develop and advocate for policy changes at the state and federal level, public speaking, trainings as well as working with the media. We use a public health approach in our work to bring about systemic changes, which is extremely rewarding. I thoroughly enjoy bringing diverse stakeholders together to solve big problems.

Favorite part of her job: Advocating for those who do not have a voice.
What does she consider her biggest accomplishment in her job? That’s tough! I’m someone who is always striving to do more and to push myself to help others. In 2016, I received a Partners and Leadership Award (PAL) from the Tennessee Public Health Association. I was very honored and humbled to be recognized by my peers, simply for doing work that I love.
How did CEHHS prepare her for work? Both my undergraduate and graduate degrees have served me well throughout my career. Beginning with my first job as a social worker at the Knox County Health Department, which allowed me an opportunity to work in the public health field. Combining my background in development throughout the lifespan with my master’s in public health has afforded me the opportunity to have a deeper understanding of how both our environment and family systems play a pivotal role in our overall health and well-being. The knowledge I obtained at UT helped inform experiences throughout the course of my professional development. I am very grateful for those educational opportunities.