Sport management senior Christian Coleman beat the world’s fastest man, Usain Bolt, to take home a silver in the men’s 100-meter final of the IAAF World Championships in London in August. The gold was taken by VFL Justin Gatlin.
Coleman beat Bolt twice, coming ahead of him in the third heat of the 100-meter semifinals and then again with his second-place finish in the finals. See the race at tiny.utk.edu/100m.
Here’s a look at some of the honors Coleman earned and the records he broke during the 2016–17 collegiate season:
• Four national championships
• Three SEC championships
• All-American honors
• Collegiate record in the 100-meter
• National championships in 100-meter and 200-meter dashes.
• Second-fastest 200-meter time in collegiate history
• Tied collegiate record in the 60-meter dash
• Fourth-fastest time ever recorded in an indoor 200-meter dash
• Second-fastest time ever recorded in a 200-meter dash by a
Find out more about Coleman’s historic season at UT Athletics’ website.