Lydia Foster

FosterMajor
Retail and Consumer Science

About her job
I am a freelance makeup artist in the entertainment industry. I began my career in Los Angeles five years ago, and I currently reside in New York City. I work on a wide range of projects, from editorial photo shoots to commercials, television, and red carpet events. I am currently on the RED World Tour with Taylor Swift. I’m the department head for hair and makeup. I’m responsible for her dancers and back up vocalists, along with her band.

Favorite part of the job
I love the ability to travel and see the United States and the world while doing what I am most passionate about—all while making a living.

Why she chose UT
I grew up in East Tennessee and the pride and joy we all have for that school is
undeniable! It was just a no-brainer for me. I am a proud alum too!

Most valuable thing she learned at UT
The most valuable lesson I learned at UT is simply how to be a grown up and get my feet wet in the real world. Being away from my parents and living on my own for the first time was a highly useful life lesson.

Favorite UT traditions and memories
Of course, the football games. The beginning of every fall semester was the best.
I just love to remember the energy that surrounded campus. It was truly the best!

Retro style she would like to see return
I am obsessed with the ’20s and ’30s. It seems like everything they did back then was grand! They put a lot of effort into their everyday appearance. What if we all walked around with our hair in finger waves and ruby red lips with our dainty hats and dresses? Oh, the beauty!

If she weren’t a makeup artist
I would be a graphic designer/artist with my own small business making handmade stationary. I may just do that one day, too.